How We're Green
Inspired by Amy Stewart's book, Flower Confidential, and our neighboring farmers, Ellen founded Local Color Flowers to provide a green alternative to purchasing flowers grown internationally or on the west coast. We strive to be green and local as much as we can.
- Buying Local - ALL of our flowers are grown at family farms and gardens within an average of 50 miles of our workshop. None of our flowers flew in an airplane. None of our flowers are chemically preserved. No one was exploited to grow our flowers.
- Composting - We can fill four 20 gallon drums of discarded leaves, stems, branches and other natural refuse each week as a result of our design work. We compost all natural refuse to grow more flowers!
- Reuse and Recycle - We love to create unique arrangements. Many of our containers have had previous lives: milk, liquor and apothecary bottles, an orphaned china creamer, or even bicycle cogs. We have a variety of vintage glassware, urns, pots and more available, or we can use yours! We also will facilitate the donation of your flowers after your event.
- Partnering with Green Vendors - We are so fortunate to work with other vendors who share our commitment to green, sustainable business practices.
- Green Business Practices - We try to be a sustainable business in every way. We are particularly proud of giving up floral foam and our choice of energy provider.